Hot Cross Buns are a much-loved staple of Easter baking. This traditional recipe makes a delicious classic hot cross bun piping mix every time.
This recipe makes approximately 4.1kg of piping mix. This hot cross bun piping mixture will stand all day.
- 1.453kg (1lb) General Purpose Bread Shortening
- 2.672kg (5lb 15oz) Water
- 1.113kg (2lb 4oz) Sugar
- 907g (2lb) High-Ratio Cake Flour
- Bring shortening, sugar, and 1.113kg (2lb 4oz) of water to boil.
- Gradually mix in the flour and continue mixing until fully combined and forms a clear paste.
- At the highest speed gradually add the remaining water until the paste is a thin piping consistency
Use less or extra water in the final step to fine-tune the consistency of the mixture for piping.